BP Decommissioning - Miller - Case study
R2S was used the first time by BP for an end of life project on the Miller platform. Driven by call from industry bodies to utilise innovative techniques, R2S has introduced significant efficiencies to the decommissioning process.
- Increased familiarity with the platform for project team members who have never been offshore.
- Engineering surveys were undertaken by third party contractors. Using the tool drastically reduced the amount of time required offshore.
- Interfacing with partners – the software was used to present to JV partners eliminating requests for offshore travel. In one case partners requested an offshore trip to review the integrity and condition of the platform. An R2S session was facilitated and the partners were walked around Miller using R2S leading them to retract their request for an offshore visit.
- Verification – Engineers have used R2S to verify isolations represented on some P&ID’s through locating them and taking screenshots on the R2S software.
- Screenshots from the R2S software have been used to identify safety hazards on the platform (Scaffold boards on poor grating, barriers etc). These images were used in HSE presentations given to contractors before mobilising offshore.
- Providing the most valuable was the ability to grant access to possible removal contractors for Miller. Some of the removal contractors had never worked offshore before and the R2S software provided for an invaluable tool to allow them to plan and visualise the scope of work they were requested to execute. It was also very beneficial to the experienced removal contractors to plan their work onshore and to engage with the wider teams as to what the facility actually looks like and how they would execute the job. Whilst offshore some removal contractors stated that the software is of great benefit to them whilst tendering for the job, leading to a reduced cost based on lower uncertainty of what they expect to see on the platform.